The White House announced Friday February 10, that President Joe Biden ordered the military to shoot down what it described as a high-altitude object hovering over Alaska earlier in the day.
The Department of Defense was tracking a high-altitude object over Alaska airspace in the last 24 hours, National Security Council coordinator for strategic communications John Kirby told reporters when asked about rumors of another suspected Chinese surveillance balloon.
The high-altitude object, Kirby said, was flying at an altitude of 40,000 feet and posed a reasonable threat to the safety of civilian flight.
He continued, Out of an abundance of caution and at the recommendation of the Pentagon, President Biden ordered the military to down the object, and they did. And it came inside our territorial waters and those waters right now are frozen but inside territorial airspace and over territorial waters. Fighter aircraft assigned to US Northern Command took down the object within last hour.
It is the second time in a little less than a week that US fighter jets have shot down an object flying over American airspace. It comes after the Biden administration faced questions over its handling of a suspected Chinese spy balloon that floated across the nation last week before being shot down in the Atlantic Ocean off the coast of the Carolinas on Saturday.
The new object, Kirby added, was taken down with US Northern Command fighter aircraft near the Canadian border on water that is frozen in the Arctic Ocean.
The general area would be just off the very, very northeastern part of Alaska near the Canadian border, Kirby said of the location.
The object first came to the attention of the US government last evening. Kirby told reporters that the US assessed the object to be unmanned before it was eventually shot down.
We were able to get some fighter aircrafts up and around it before the order to shoot it down, and the pilots assessment was this was not manned, Kirby said.
Kirby said the US is not referring to the object as a balloon and has yet to attribute it to China or any other entity.
We are calling this an object because that's the best description we have right now. We don't know who owns it whether it's state-owned or corporate-owned or privately owned, we just don't know, Kirby said.
He added: We don't have any information that would confirm a stated purpose for this object. We do expect to be able to recover the debris since it fell not only within our territorial space, but on what we what believe is frozen water. So a recovery effort will be made and we are hopeful that it will be successful and then we can learn a little bit more about it.
The object was much, much smaller than the Chinese suspected spy balloon, Kirby said, comparing it to roughly the size of a small car. The balloon downed last Saturday was described by US officials as approximately the size of three buses.
Biden absolutely was "involved in this decision and ordered it at the recommendation of Pentagon leaders, Kirby said.
Post a Comment
Disclaimer!!! Opinions expressed in comments do not represent THE FOREFRONT MEDIA NG's views. All participants are entitled to their opinions. Thank you!!!
Advertise on the Forefront: For advert placement in the blog or advert posts like news updates, reach +2348124620827 [WhatsApp].
Copyright 2022 The Forefront Media Ng. All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from The Forefront Media Ng